Friday, November 29, 2002

You'd Better not Cry ...


Friday, 29 November 2002

James Russell of Hot Buttered Death links to this article which shows the widespread bi-partisan support for Santa. Maybe we should amend the constitution to make him our permanent head of state. And John Howard has already written his letter to Santa.

In my E-mail today, the 50% of my regular correspondents who lives in Adelaide, Darren, told me a little of his own childhood experience with Santa:

Y'know, I had a very similar experience with my parents and I never did quite understand why they felt it necessary to make up stories about leaving food for some fat old man from the North Pole. I think at age 4 or 5 I had decided there was something strange about a fat man being able to get into our house without our knowing.

If anything, the political correctness is that one must believe in Santa - you are not allowd to tell your children that Santa doesn't exist (because they may tell other kids) and you are *certainly* not allowed to tell kids that Santa is a figment of an advertising executive's imagination.


I think he's got a point on the political correctness thing. But then I'm cynical enough to believe that the Soldier Settler scheme was an exercise in social engineering.

No comments: