Thursday, July 24, 2003

Oh Sod It!



I'll admit it, I had a good giggle at Media Watch on Monday Night. Forgot about Tim Dunlop's sister-in-law being one of David Marr's pet targets and I had no idea of the correspondence between Alison Broinowski and David Marr revealed by Stanley of the Billabong. So I'm feeling a bit pissed off right now - first with myself, for getting sucked into enjoying the cheap shots, but especially with David Marr.

A couple of weeks ago, I actually e-mailed Media Watch via their "tip-offs" link and using my real name too. It was about this article by Andrew Bolt, which I commented on in this post. I thought the Media Watch crew might actually take an interest in why Andrew Bolt seemed (at least to me and at that time) to be the only journo in Australia to have written about Andrew Wilkie's secret report on Iraq for the Office of National Assessments. I might have to re-Google it, just to make sure, but I think I might have noticed if there had been reports of Wilkie's work being tabled in Parliament, or of it falling out of the secure documents bin on its way to the shredder.

Curious as I am about the question, I won't be holding my breath waiting for Media Watch to look into it. And I'm not sure that I'll be watching next Monday night - I'd rather get my weekly dose of the macabre from watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer than watching the corpse of a former journalist decompose to a voice from the beyond soundtrack. I'd rather remember Marr for his coverage of Seidler v Cook in The National Times, back in the seventies. In my opinion it gave the best explanation of the technicalities of libel law ever published in an Australian newspaper. If I can track down a copy of the article, I might see if I can put a few selected excerpts on line, as a reminder of the greatness that might have been.

No comments: